By Paul Kengor
while historians credits Ronald Reagan and Pope John Paul II with hastening the top of the chilly warfare, they've got didn't realize the intensity or value of the bond that constructed among the 2 leaders.
Acclaimed pupil and bestselling writer Paul Kengor alterations that. during this attention-grabbing e-book, he finds a novel bond—which incorporated a non secular connection among the Catholic pope and the Protestant president—that drove the 2 males to confront what they knew to be the nice evil of the 20 th century: Soviet communism.
Reagan and John Paul II virtually didn’t be able to forge this courting: simply six weeks aside within the spring of 1981, they took bullets from would-be assassins. yet their strikingly related near-death reviews introduced them shut together—to Moscow’s dismay.
A Pope and a President is the made from years of analysis. in accordance with Kengor’s tireless archival digging and his targeted entry to Reagan insiders, the e-book finds:
- The inside of tale at the 1982 assembly the place the president and the pope confided their conviction that God had spared their lives for the aim of defeating communism
- Captivating new details at the try on John Paul II’s lifestyles, together with a previously unreported mystery CIA investigation—was Moscow in the back of the plot?
- The many similarities and the non secular bond among the pope and the president—and how Reagan privately pointed out the “DP”: the Divine Plan to take down communism
- New information about how the Protestant Reagan grew to become intensely drawn to the “secrets of Fátima,” which date to the stated apparitions of the Virgin Mary at Fátima, Portugal, beginning on May 13, 1917—sixty-four years to the day ahead of John Paul II used to be shot
- A startling insider account of the way the USSR could have been set to invade the pope’s local Poland in March 1981—only to tug again while information broke that Reagan have been shot
Nancy Reagan referred to as John Paul II her husband’s “closest friend”; Reagan himself instructed Polish viewers that the pope was once his “best friend.” in case you learn this e-book, you'll comprehend why. As kindred spirits, Ronald Reagan and John Paul II united in pursuit of a splendid objective—and in doing so that they replaced history.
Read Online or Download A Pope and a President: John Paul II, Ronald Reagan, and the Extraordinary Untold Story of the 20th Century PDF
Best ideologies books
Diplomarbeit aus dem Jahr 2002 im Fachbereich Politik - Politische Theorie und Ideengeschichte, word: 1,7, Universität Duisburg-Essen (Institut für Politikwissenschaft), Sprache: Deutsch, summary: Ziel dieser Arbeit ist es zu analysieren, ob und welche Auswirkungen Globalisierung auf den Sozialstaat hat.
Ailsa Henderson analyses each one nation's linguistic, racial, cultural, fiscal, and political variety inside a ancient and modern context. hard the belief that nationalism in Scotland may be characterised as "civic" not like an "ethnic" version in Quebec, Henderson adopts a extra complicated version of nationwide id that distinguishes among nationalistic rhetoric, that is perpetually civic in shape, and public understandings of belonging, which are likely to depend on ethnic markers.
Why did communism develop so fast? Why did it unfold to show nearly half the area crimson by means of the mid-1970s? What impression did it have upon capitalism and capitalist society? Communism is a concise introduction to 1 of an important and influential events of the 20 th century. It indicates how the fashionable communist stream emerged out of radical millenarian events of the center a long time and the English Civil struggle, changing into a mass flow of business society, trying to overturn capitalism and change it with a society of equality, justice, concord and co-operation.
Studienarbeit aus dem Jahr 2013 im Fachbereich Politik - Politische Theorie und Ideengeschichte, word: 2,0, Ernst-Moritz-Arndt-Universität Greifswald (Institut für Politik- und Kommunikationswissenschaft), Veranstaltung: Demokratie und Außenpolitik, Sprache: Deutsch, summary: In dieser Arbeit werden die kosmopolitanistischen Positionen von John Rawls, Charles R.
- Why Hitler?: The Genesis of the Nazi Reich
- Populist Authoritarianism: Chinese Political Culture and Regime Sustainability
- Multicultural Challenges and Redefining Identity in East Asia
- Comparing autocracies in the early Twenty-first Century: Volume 1: Unpacking Autocracies - Explaining Similarity and Difference (Democratization Special Issues)
Extra info for A Pope and a President: John Paul II, Ronald Reagan, and the Extraordinary Untold Story of the 20th Century
A Pope and a President: John Paul II, Ronald Reagan, and the Extraordinary Untold Story of the 20th Century by Paul Kengor